Arundhati Roy is one single writer who has never disappointed me, and who always gives value for my time. I can read her any time any day. Give me a new Arundhati piece, and I'm into it in an instant, reading and savouring it word for word - literally. She is a window for me. She is my idea of a real writer.
So, what's it that draws me in? Or, why should you read her?
1. She has poetry in her prose. Or, music. If you love literature, you can't miss it.
2. She writes about sensitive, yet important subjects that other writers would carefully avoid for reasons of libel and/or personal security( e.g. globalisation, judiciary, dams, nuclear tests).
3. She has more brains for a writer, and is endowed with a sharp analytical mind.
4. She is a one-woman army and can take on the establishment without considering about the consequences.
5. She has astounding skill to garner facts and figures about India (the emerging superpower to some)and the world.
6. She is a rare independent writer with integrity, who is never afraid of asking questions.
7. She has great imagination to enrich her work.
8. She writes less, and never ever any crap - whether fiction or non-fiction.
9. She did not blush when people were clapping on her Booker award occasion.
10. She has no blog or any account on Facebook or You Tube.
Now, read Arundhati Roy's New Article at Outlook India magazine.
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o Q & A
11 minutes ago